PowerToys are additional programs that developers work on after
a product has been released to manufacturing. They add fun and
functionality to the Windows experience.
Note We've taken great care to ensure that PowerToys
operate as they should, but they are not part of Windows and are
not supported by Microsoft. For this reason, Microsoft Technical
Support is unable to answer questions about PowerToys. PowerToys
are for Windows XP only.
- ClearType Tuner - This PowerToy lets you use ClearType
technology to make it easier to read text on your screen, and
installs in the Control Panel for easy access.
- Faster User Switcher - Allows you to switch between
users using keyboard shortcuts. Shell Player - Now you can use the
built in MP3 player on the taskbar.
- Virtual Desktop Manager - One of the best power toys
ever! It allows you to have four different desktops. And a
convenient grid view that allows you to see all four at once. One
of my favorite features of Linux, Unix, and Solaris is finally
implemented into windows XP. Above is what the controls look like
on the taskbar that allow you to switch between desktops. Below is
a screenshot of the grid that allows you to see all desktops and
their contents at once.
- Task Switcher - A new graphical task switching program
that replaces what currently is displayed when you press
- Open Command Window Here - Adds ability to open a
command prompt in any folder.
- Tweak UI - Access to systems settings that are not
exposed in the Windows XP default user interface.
- PowerToys Calc - A cool graphing calculator for
- Bulk Resize for Photos - Does what it is called.
- ISO Image Burner - Allows you to burn an ISO Image using
a CD-ROM burner that is compatible with Windows XP.
- Slide Show Generator - Create an auto run slide show for
CD's that you burn images on.
- Background Wallpaper switcher - Allows you to set an
interval that your background image will change automatically. I
set mine to change the background every 60 seconds. Very
- Taskbar Magnifier - Magnifies the screen where the mouse
is and displays the large image on a portion of the taskbar.
- Slide Show Wizard - Aids in creating slide shows of your
pictures, when you are done you can save the slide show in HTML and
can upload it to a web server.