By doing the following steps you can browse on the Internet or
Network faster. It uses the same technique as http://localhost.
When you type http://localhost you will be redirected to your own IP. By adding some
lines you could reach your IP by just typing http://l. Observe that some names can effect your
- Find out which IP you would like to have a name
for. It could be a website, a place on your
network or anything else that got an ip-number.
The localhost uses the IP 127.0.0.1. To find out a
website's IP just type "ping www.website.com" (without the "") in
the command prompt (Start -> Run -> and type:
- Browse to WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.
- Open the file called host in notepad.
- Below "127.0.0.1 localhost" type the IP followed by a
name. Read in the file itself for more information.
- If you for example type 126.96.36.199 search (the
IP belongs to www.google.com)
and saves the file, you will end up on Google's site if you type
search in the address bar in your Internet Browser.