Thumbs.db is a file which is created in a folder with Movies or
Pictures so that you can view a piece of their content without
actually opening them (you can't see thumbnails unless you have the
option to view system files turned on). Thumbs.db is there so that
you don't need to reload a thumbnail every time you browse that
folder. Sad fact is, is Thumbs.db takes up about 2kb per file and
if you edit a lot of stuff its annoying to keep seeing them popping
up all over your computer. You can remove Thumbs.db quite easily by
following the following steps:
- Go to "Run" in the startmenu.
- Type gpedit.msc.
- Click OK and the Group Policy will open.
- Go to User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows
- Scroll down to the bottom of the long list of stuff that now
shows up in the menu on the right. Double-Click on Turn off caching
of thumbnail pictures.
- Click on Enable then Apply, Ok. And now you no longer have this
Alternatively or if you use XP Home you can make this change in
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View
-> "Do not cache thumbnails"
Disabling thumbnail caching will considerably slow down opening
folders in thumbnail view. So if you use thumbnail view a lot,
think about it.