Before you install Windows SteadyState:
- Uninstall any previous version of Windows SteadyState or
Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP, an earlier
version of Windows SteadyState.
- Defragment system drives, configure display settings, and
remove any software that should not be made available to any user
profile. For shared systems, consider also clearing the Internet
History folder and deleting files in My Documents.
- Reinstall Windows XP to establish a secure environment for a
shared computer on which you are installing Windows SteadyState
(optional). A computer that has been used by multiple people and on
which multiple applications have been installed and reconfigured
can be difficult to reliably maintain as a secure, shared system.
For more information on reinstalling Windows XP, see Reinstalling
Important: It is critical that you perform this step before setting up Windows Disk Protection
- Download and install the latest critical updates from the
Update Web site.
- Download and install up-to-date antivirus software.
- Scan for viruses, unwanted software, and malicious
- Set the Administrator password.
- Install all of the features, services, and programs that you
want to make available to your users (recommended).
Important: Shared user profiles will retain any restrictions placed on them after Shared Computer Toolkit is uninstalled because they remain on the computer after uninstallation. Existing shared user profiles will be available on installation of Windows SteadyState.