Troubleshooting your network
WhatsUp Gold is a tool used to monitor your
network. It is up to you to fix the items that WhatsUp Gold brings
The following are questions you should think
about while troubleshooting problems detected through WhatsUp
- Is the entire subnet affected, or a single
- Is the entire device affected, or a service
monitor on the device?
- What type of device is down?
Actions to take
After you have determined the scope of the
network problems, one of the following may help you fix the
- If it is the entire subnet that appears to
be down, you should check your hub, router, or switch.
- Begin with checking the physical connections
of the device to the network and to the power supply. Check the
network cables and power cables.
- Check wireless network cards and signal
- Check the Health Detail Report to see
whether a single monitor or the entire device is down. If the
device is down, all of the monitors will appear to be down.
- Using the Ping monitor, verify that the
connection between the device and the network is up.
- If a monitor appears to be down, try
restarting the service that the monitor is watching. To restart a
service, you must access the device directly; this cannot be done
through WhatsUp Gold.