How to get started using SQL Server
- Determine which SQL parameters to monitor.
:To use some parameters, configure your
System Data Source (ODBC) name for the SQL Server. This is done in
the Windows Data Sources (ODBC) administrator.
- Determine which SQL services to
- Decide whether to create a single monitor
with multiple parameters and services, several monitors with one
parameter or service, or some combination. Whether you set up one
monitor or many has a bearing on how the information is reported in
WhatsUp Gold logs and by actions. For example, if you create a
single monitor to check disk usage, you can name it
SQLDisk and it will be reported in logs with
- Configure an SQL Server Monitor with your
selected parameters and/or services.
- Add the SQL Monitor to the device that
represents your SQL server.
- Set up an action to tell you when the
monitor goes down or comes back up.
monitor will be reported down if any of the parameters or services
in that monitor are down.