Importing SSH keys from PuTTY
The public key file format generated by PuTTY
is not compatible with iLO 3. The following example illustrates, a
PuTTY generated public key file:
---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
iLO 3 expects public key file information on a
single line. You must use the PuTTY Key Generator (puttygen.exe)
utility to import a correctly formatted SSH key for use with iLO
To import SSH keys to iLO 3 from PuTTY:
- Double-click the PuTTY Key Generator icon to
launch the utility.
- Select SSH-2
RSA, and then click Generate.
On the key area, move the mouse around to
generate the key. You must keep moving the mouse until the key
generation process is complete.
- After the key is generated, replace the key
comment with your iLO 3 user name. (The user name is
- Select all the text in the public key area.
Copy the key and paste it into a Notepad session.
- Return to the PuTTY Key Generator
- Click Save
private key to save, and then enter a file name when
prompted, for example, c:\bchan.ppk.
- Return to Notepad.
- Save the public key file. Click
File>Save As, and then
enter a file name when prompted, for example, c:\bchan.pub.
- Log into iLO 3 (if not already open).
- On the iLO 3 SSH Key Administration page,
click Browse, and then locate
the public key file.
- Click Authorize
Key. A new Authorized SSH key appears in the list.
- Launch PuTTY.
- Select SSH>Auth.
- Click Browse, and locate the private key
- Configure your iLO 3 IP, and then click
Open. iLO 3 prompts for a
- Enter the logon name associated with the
public key. The public key in iLO 3 authenticates with the private
key in PuTTY. If the keys match, you are logged into iLO 3 without
using a password.
Keys can be created with a key passphrase.
If a key passphrase was used to generate the public key, you are
prompted for the key passphrase before you log into iLO 3.